By: Julie Hancock
When thinking of the Hollywood icon Marilyn Monroe, there are a few images that come to mind; the coiffed blonde hair, curve accentuating clothing, red lipstick, and the ever famous white dress blowing up over the subway grate. What better style to model your wedding after than Monroe’s classic and effortless beauty? Take some tips from the queen of Hollywood with our Marilyn Monroe inspired wedding ideas below!
To channel your inner Marilyn, pick a dress that has the feel of old Hollywood glamour. Mix and match styles of the era to create your perfect wedding day look!
- Halter, Off-the-shoulder, or Sweetheart Necklines: The halter neckline of course brings to mind her most iconic dress, but an off-the-shoulder or sweetheart look also has that 50’s feel and gives you the option of a different look, à la Monroe in “The Asphalt Jungle.”
- Curvaceous Mermaid: Marilyn Monroe had great curves and wasn’t afraid to show them off. You shouldn’t be either! Try a form fitting mermaid style dress to accentuate all your assets.
- Tea Length Dresses: Marilyn’s own wedding to Arthur Miller featured a tea length wedding dress, and this style is as timeless as it is beautiful.
No matter your hair type, length, or color, there are easy ways to have a Marilyn inspired hairstyle on your special day.
- Curls! Whether your hair is long or short, a curly hairstyle is classically attractive.
- Coiffed Updos Even those with longer locks can mimic Marilyn’s iconic blonde ‘do by choosing a hairstyle like a low bun with finger curls, or using pins to create a faux bob.
- Head Pieces: Head pieces are always a fun touch to your wedding look! Choosing a vintage piece with diamonds, pearls or a mesh veil will bring the Marilyn Monroe look to life.
Choosing what style makeup you want for your wedding can sometimes be a daunting task. There are just so many different options! But if you’re wanting to go for the classic bombshell look, there are a few makeup staples that you can’t forget.
- The Classic Red Lip! You can never go wrong with a ruby red lipstick to create the perfect pout.
- Cat Eye Eyeliner: To give the illusion of wider, larger eyes, Marilyn wore eyeliner with wings that created the cat eye look. It’s a good idea to either hire a makeup artist who is comfortable with this look, or be sure to practice it in advance. Practice makes perfect!
- Flirty Lashes: You want your lashes to be luscious but natural looking. To achieve this, cut your false eyelash strip in half and only put them on the outside corners of your eyes.
Your wedding look isn’t complete without a few gorgeous accessories! Get some Marilyn Monroe accessory inspiration below!
- The Jewelry. Marilyn certainly knew how to wear diamonds. Find a piece of jewelry that you love and incorporate it into your wedding look-remember that diamond’s are a girl’s best friend!
- Sexy Shoes. A pair of peep toe pumps never goes out of style. Be sure to find a pair that is comfortable and easy to walk in.
- Gloves. For a more formal affair, white satin gloves add a glamorous touch to your nuptials.
The theme of your wedding encompasses many different aspects; decorations, cake, bridal party styling, and more. Be inspired by these easy tips for a Monroe-esque theme!
- A Photo Backdrop. Create a fun backdrop perfect for photo op’s for the guests and bridal party alike! A wall of pink flowers or streamers gives you the perfect place to channel Marilyn.
- A Glamorous Cake. Consider choosing a tiered wedding cake with lots of glitz and glitter! Marilyn wasn’t one to shy away from some sparkle.
- Bridesmaid Dresses. Soft pink, tea length bridesmaid dresses are the perfect compliment to your stunning gown.
It’s easy to draw inspiration from the iconic Marilyn Monroe. Her graceful, sexy, and effortless beauty is something people aspire to achieve even to this day. Having a wedding that is guided by her style is always a good idea. Now go forth and get your Marilyn on!
Would take inspiration from your favorite celebrities style for your wedding?
Sugar Cookies Photography
For more glamorous wedding inspiration, check out these articles: